Friday, April 13, 2007

All writers must experience sparagmos

This is what I'm beginning to believe. In two poems I've looked at recently, both poets speak of sparagmos. And, Tennessee Williams alludes to experiencing something akin to sparagmos while he wrote. To some degree, then, in order to produce literature, I'm beginning to think that the author must experience a psychogical rending. Then, if the work is an extension of him or herself, the ensuing editing process would also be sparagmos.

Here are the poem excerpts.

"Kneeling Down to Peer into a Culvert" Robert Bly
"I am alone, with no duties, living as I live. / Then one morning a head like mine pokes from the water. / I fight - it's time, it's right - and am torn to pieces fighting."

"Homily" Jim Harrison
"He is rended, he rends himself, he dances, / he whirls so hard everything he is flies off. / He crumples as paper but rises daily from the dead."

The second example is so reminiscent of the archetype of sparagmos that it's a little unnerving. It resonates with the tearing of flesh, the carnival associated with the Dionysian ritual, and the resurrection often associated with sparagmos.

No comments: